Sunday, February 5, 2023

Fez

I am two days behind, two very full days.  and I don't have any internet so I am writing this on the blogspot app.  Who knows when I will be able to upload it but if I don't try to catch up, I'll still be writing about Fez from home! 

Our day in Fez involved a very quick city tour and then ?? and then into the old medina.  It is one of, if not the, oldest medinas in morocco/the world.  6th century if I remember correctly, which you can probably summize from the beginnning of this paragraph, I do not.  But anyway, we'll cheat and use the photos.  To the memory card! Ah, yes, the seven golden doors.  In one of the king's palaces to commemorate independance.  Why seven, why golden.  What am I, Google?  I have no idea. 



Then to a fort at the top of a hill with a view of the medina.  And a horse.




Oh, yes.  This is where the budget started to go off the rails.  The mosaic tile and pottery factory.  I bought a mosaic trivet and a butter dish.  Even I could not imagine packing a tagine home. But they are beautiful and it was tempting.







Quick stop for a coffee and a snack. Never too many cat photos!



And then into the medina.  Strict instructions - STAY with the group!!!  Which I mostly did.  I didn't get lost anyway.  It was Friday so it wasn't as busy as normal.  People were at the mosque.

Here are a million pictures







camel butcher





Dye alley

Next stop, the weaver shop.  I bought yet ANOTHER tablecloth to add to my three from Chefchouaen.  And a blanket.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Let's not dwell.  




Then to a Koran School.  If a boy can memorize the Koran by the time he is 12 years old, he can study for 12 more years to be a teacher of the Koran.  Seems like a circular industry but I was not invited to give my opinion.  Absolutely beautiful building though.






Then to the tannery.  I did not buy anything here but I was proposed to.  Kim tried to use some of my tablecloths to negotiate my marriage but apparently four tablecloths are not enough.  

The tannery is cool.  Dye pools on top of a roof.  They gave us mint to smell but it didn't smell nearly as bad as I thought it would but there wasn't much action going on (Friday)




View of satellite dishes from the roof of the leather store



More rushing through the alleyways.  We took much longer at each stop and they were starting to close gates for Friday afternoon prayers so we didn't have much time to stop and take pictures.  I still took some but forgive the crookedness.  












We didn't get out of there until almost 5pm.  Back to the hotel to pick up our laundry and change some more cash (no comment).  Dinner and bed.  

I have a few minutes of weak wifi so let's see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marrakesh and home...

 After my hot air balloon ride, I was taken back to the hotel.  My late night and very early morning had left me exhausted so I crashed for ...